There were no big winners (I mean, jackpot) in the May 29 Powerball draw so the jackpot soars up to $260 million. Cash option, $134.2 million.
For a $1 ticket?
May 29 was the 11th consecutive drawing without a jackpot winner.
Eleven tickets around the country matched the first five numbers for a $200,000 second-place prize: 1 from Florida, 1 from Illinois, 1 from New Jersey, 1 from New Mexico, 2 from New York, 1 from Ohio, 3 from Pennsylvania, and 1 from Wisconsin.
Two of the second-prize tickets, the ticket sold in Florida and one of the tickets sold in New York, were purchased with the Power Play option, which has multiplied the ticket-holders’ prizes to an ajutomatic $1 million.
The winning numbers for May 29, were 1, 3, 24, 28, and 41, with Powerball number 10. The Power Play number was 4.
Some history now: The Wednesday draw will offer the fifth largest Powerball jackpot in the last three years.
- On August 19, 2009, a retired South Carolina state employee who spent two bucks on tickets won a $260 million Powerball jackpot.
- The May 27 jackpot, worth $232 million in yearly payments, was hit by a 23-year-old South Dakota rancher who opted for the lump sum. The check was for $88,504,147 after taxes were withheld.
- The March 15, 2008, prize reached $276 million before being snagged by eight coworkers in a West Virginia tax office.
- On Aug. 25, 2007, one of the biggest Powerball prizes ever, $314 million, was hit in Indiana. An Ohio man and his two children collected.
Powerball is now played in 42 states, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Here is your top 5 worldwide jackpots.
1. $260 million, Powerball, next draw June 2
2. $50 million Canadian dollars (about $47.4 USD), Lotto Max, next draw June 4
3. $23 million, SuperLotto Plus, tickets must be bought in California, June 2
4. $22 million, Loto, tickets can only be bought in Puerto Rico, June 2
5. 15 million euros, about $18 million USD, Euro Millions, June 4. Tickets can only be bought in six european countries, including the U.K., France, Spain, and Portugal.
Good luck, everyone.